Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's Tuesday. Not Wednesday. Crud.

I'm working extra days these past few weeks due to someone being ill, and my schedule's a mess - I was certain today was Wednesday, but alas, 'tis not. Thank goodness Wednesday is about 20 minutes away, Alaska time.

There's an interesting article in the May issue of Smithsonian about Zhorzh Koval, a GRU cold war spy, a sleeper agent who was "Iowa born and army-trained". I read it on paper but they've got it on their website. I read a lot of cold-war fiction when I was younger, this sounds like it came right out of one of those novels.

Song of the day: Drowning (Face down) : Saving Abel (blahblah ignore vid, just listen)

I love this picture. Water movement of any kind fascinates me, but look at that.

6 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

Make you want to go surfing??

dragonfly said...

I've never surfed! It's something I'd love to learn, it looks incredibly fun. This picture just awed me because of the colors and the raw physical power of water movement. Fluid dynamics is an interesting subject I wish I'd studied. I have a rudimentary knowledge of air & ocean currents but want to know more.

Lee Ryan said...

Good subject. I've been trained in that quite a bit; but there is a lot that is either not known. Also there is plenty that we know experimentally, but have trouble fitting into a tractable mathematical model.

Though a good CFD code can be as fun as nude body surfing...maybe.

dragonfly said...

Nude body surfing > computational fluid dynamics

Lee Ryan said...

I was afraid that I'd offended your sensibilities.

I guess it is all depending on water temperature. :-)

dragonfly said...

Ya, interesting the cold water effect on men vs women!

Don't worry about my sensibilities, sheesh! I'm more open minded than you realize, apparently. I've been swamped at work, hence the delayed response.

I've yet to read anything 'offensive' that you've written, and I'm amused at your handling of certain subjects - you're bold without being crass, it's great.