Thursday, May 14, 2009

Noun: flux (plural fluxs) 1. A state of ongoing change. *

Nothing is static, it's all moving, flowing, changing constantly. Leaves grow, cells die, wind blows, life cycles come full circle and begin again. Like a river that appears the same from moment to moment, but the water flows and moves, along with whatever is caught in it's current, and the river you see is not the same river it was a moment ago. Ever changing, ever the same.

Some days I can't move with it - feeling it rush past, pulling at me, moving on. I want to grasp, see, feel, and know every second of it, but it flows over and around me and is gone, lost.

Yes. I'm having a day.

In Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha, the river is it's own beginning, middle and end. The river is everywhere at once all at the same time. The idea of time or life being circular resonates with me. I read some blurb about how the river shows Siddhartha that though life is in constant flux, it's still essentially the same, and encourages him to become one with that flux.

That's my new mantra : Be one with the flux.

*Wiktionary

2 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

Or like the aliens in Cat's Cradle (K. Vonnegut) that can see time as if it were simply another spatial dimension; see the whole flow of time all at once.

dragonfly said...

*Adds Cat's Cradle to the "Wanna Read" list*