Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gentle be the breeze, and calm the wave


We went to the opera Friday night, my mom and I. Opera Fairbanks put on a gala celebrating Alaska's 50th statehood anniversary and she had tickets. The featured artist is a woman who grew up here with a wonderful musical talent and who went on to perform all over the world. Her voice (she's a mezzo-soprano) is extraordinary, unique. I knew her father - he was the head of the chemistry department at the University here for years - a brilliant and interesting man. I didn't know him personally till his last few years, I wish I'd known him longer. What a lively and thought provoking person.

Where was I? Opera - it was a nice night out. Most of the music I enjoyed, especially the excerpt from Act I of La Traviata : Un di, felice, eterea – "The day I met you". I love that, and I crank it at work when no one is around. The finale was a let down - much as I respect our Alaska Flag Song, I felt Vivica's talent was wasted on a sing-a-long. When she came out in an evening gown I was ready for something big. She really is a charismatic woman eminently suited for what she's doing.

I'm not an opera freak, but there are pieces of music that are just heaven to listen to. My very favorite is Soave sia il vento, from Cosi fan tutte (Mozart). It's not a passionate piece of music, it's a simple 'Safe travels' message, but it's beautiful, the notes and voices weaving in and out of each other. I also love the Flower Duet from Lakme (Delibes)- lots know that one because it's been featured in a variety of movies.

Ah. Lost in music. Aren't I supposed to be doing something... like yard work? This guy is going to help me --->







"Soave sia il vento...Gentle be the breeze,
Tranquilla sia l'onda,..and calm the wave,
Ed ogni elemento...and may all elements
Benigno risponda...be favorable
Ai nostri/vostri desir....to our need."



comic: xkcd: A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language

2 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

Sounds like an awesome time!

dragonfly said...

It was, thank you :)