Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yearning

A friend posted something about being drawn to the sea, and I've been reflecting on that since. Is it universal...are we all drawn? We're mostly composed of water, we come to life in water in the womb, and somewhere way back in time we originated in water. We can't live without it.

I'm deeply drawn to the sea. Somehow, I live 450 miles from the nearest ocean. Rivers, lakes, ponds, creeks - all draw me. I love the sound, the smell, the coolness of any body of water. But the ocean is overwhelming and exciting, and stirs feelings, gut feelings, that I can't describe. When I'm on the edge of the ocean, I feel like I can breathe. I feel weight lift from my shoulders and dissipate. I get a weird sense of completeness and yearning at the same time.

I'm fascinated on all levels. My senses overload, my emotions soar, my appreciation for all the ocean contains, for all the ways it affects our existence, for it's physical properties, for it's raw power.

I like this painting - I've stumbled across it before and decided I'd post it this time. The artist can be found here. Waves are beautiful and fascinating- I'm intrigued by their beauty and power, the constant motion and change, and that waves can be analyzed as fractals.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

"I feel like I can breath". I understand what you mean, almost like we could float. Stars have the same effect. It's humbling to think about life and the future when you gaze outward toward 'distant landscapes'. They are our greatest freedoms. I don't know many other people who would appreciate that.

dragonfly said...

Kindred spirits from afar :)