Sunday, January 31, 2010

Amy Outside the Box

It has been an interesting and liberating weekend. I blame the moon. It was full. If you've read my blog at all, you know I've got a thing for the moon. Blame it on my "sign" (I'm a cancer, if you're into that sort of thing), or that I am intrigued by light effects (Light on water amazes me. Bioluminescence amazes me. Different wavelengths of light AMAZE me. Etc.), or that simply I'm human and a bright, full moon causes me to look up and gaze in awe.

Where was I. Oh, interesting weekend. I stepped way outside my box. I flat out jumped the rails. I did a number of things that are markedly different for me. I cannot say they are "out of character", because I'm the walking definition of duality, but I keep certain aspects of my personality under wraps, keep the less controllable tendencies in check. But this weekend, I loosened my self imposed fetters and took steps in different directions. I did it on purpose, deliberately, and have absolutely no regrets. It. Was. Fun.

Life's too short to stay inside the lines. Especially silly unnecessary ones.

I'm reading the last of Stephen King's Dark Tower series - it's really pretty good. I love the main character, Roland Deschain. I like heroes - not white knights, but heroes with dark sides, real sides. Realistic, non-perfect, downright flawed heroes.

I've bought a new book today, to start once I finish the Tower series. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. I've been looking at it for awhile, but it turned up on one of my favorite blogs (click link), so I took that as a kick in the pants and picked it up today.

This is a busy month. My son turns 20 this week. My daughter turns 28, AND is having a baby this month. I will be a grandmother. While I am so excited for my daughter and her husband, and gleefully anticipating our impending sweetpea, that thought leaves me reeling - where did the time go? How can I be a grandmother? What the hell?

I love this song - Kings of Leon, Notion
The music is great, listen to that guitar.

11 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

What? You're not going to tell us about your steps '...way outside my box.' ???

You're going to make us (...er...at least "me"...if not "us") assume it involved moon-soaked, nude ice-bathing and wild sex parties outdoors?

dragonfly said...

Oops, did I leave that part out? (innocently asked)

the important part is that I changed my behavior pattern and the world did not come to a screeching halt. Change is good. I'm having that put on a tee shirt.

Moon- soaked, nude ice bathing? Dude, it's still below zero here! Brrrr!

Lee Ryan said...

who knows what you Alaskans are in to.

It might be fun. (??)

Besides - how much colder can nude ice bathing be than to do it with your clothes on...and oh so much more fun!

dragonfly said...

Ever see footage of Nordic folk taking a sauna the running out all pink and steamy and jumping in the snow? I've done that and it's not as fun as it looks! Invigorating, yes!

I learned to SCUBA in frigid waters- but I was clad in layers of insulation, dry suit, and gear, far from nude. I'm sure there is some form of the Polar Bear Club up here, though, you know, those folks who swim nude in winter water, but I'm not a member ( not yet anyway!).

Lee Ryan said...

Well - whatever the case, your post seems to be that of someone who just got laid. :-)

dragonfly said...

Hey! Sex isn't that out of the ordinary. Karaoke- that would be out of the ordinary. Skiing instead of being at work, that too. Or hopping a flight out of town for the weekend To go shopping and blowing all my cash on impractically gorgeous shoes. Impractically gorgeous red shoes.

Lee Ryan said...

Tag!!

dragonfly said...

You want to see the shoes, don't you...

Wayne said...

You're very beautiful. If nobody has ever told you that before... they should have.

dragonfly said...

A very generous comment, Griever, thank you. Keep in mind, I only post the reasonably good & highly edited pictures! I'm not photogenic, i tend to look goofy in photos and keep telling myself its just the pictures =p

Wayne said...

I know how you feel, I'm exactly the same with cameras. Half the time I refuse to believe the image captured is me.