Saturday, September 12, 2009

My youngest turned 18 yesterday. We're having a party for him tonight - guess what he wants for dinner? You got it - pizza.

He's hard to get gifts for these days because his toys get more expensive- wants things like trucks and muscle cars, which I'm not buying for him. I did, however, head to Nordstrom in Anchorage and purchase some very nice cologne for him (he likes to smell good and I've had enough of that Axe he bathes in). In the fancy bag with his man-cologne I also put one of those boxes you store Hotwheels in - you know, the one that looks like a wheel? That and two Mustangs (Hotwheels!). He's gotten a new Hotwheels car or two every birthday/Christmas and I know he's saved a few of them.

I also got him some polar-fleece sheets. Yep, he's getting sheets for his birthday. (Awww Mom!) No really, he'll love them. This kid is a 6'5" basketball jock, eats like a horse, smells like a man, can fix anything...and he loves warm fuzzy things. And puppies. And monkeys. So yes, he's getting warm fuzzy polar fleece sheets. I couldn't afford a monkey.

He's the last of my kids at home, still in the nest but poised for flight. When he heads out into the world my laundry load will be dramatically reduced, grocery store trips less frequent, fridge less full. We'll stay close, but the house will feel empty and I'll miss the little day to day goofyhead moments.

Funny - my mom was gone this summer and I sure missed her. I'm 44 and I've found there are still moments when you just need your mom. Being my kid's mom is the best job I've ever had, and now they're these amazing grown-up people that still like to hang out with me now & then, like I like to hang with my mom. How cool is that?

2 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

Cool - soon you'll be able to keep a gallon of milk and a pitcher of OJ in the fridge for more than 15 minutes at a time.

dragonfly said...

Exactly- though they'll still come over and drink out of the carton.

Btw loved your "homework" pictures, made me giggle, plus you're pretty easy on the eyes ;)