Monday, July 6, 2009

It's been a good weekend.


Time flows, gears shift, pieces click into place. It's a slow process but I feel it happening and though I am impatient, I know everything is moving in the right direction.

I don't know why I expect transitions in life to be immediate and clearly defined. Some transitions are easy to pinpoint. Riding in a boat down the Chena river you can clearly see the transition from the dark waters of the Chena to the silty, light colored Tanana. Borders between states, those pieces of paper called college degrees, a marriage license or divorce decree, the day you get in car accident that leaves you seriously injured - those are transitions where "before" and "after" are distinct and separate, marked by that incident or occurrence that causes the change or difference.

But how's that go? "Life's a journey, not a destination". Most change occurs over time, and it's not always clear when it began, or where it ends. When I went through the break up of my marriage, there were some very clearly defined changes: living arrangements, finances, raising children pretty much alone. But some things that I expected to transform simply did not. Not instantly, anyway.

A friend once told me my soul was screaming for a revolution.

It didn't happen, but it's happening.

No comments: