Sunday, April 26, 2009

Birds of a feather

I've been cruising Creamer's Field late in the evening recently, around 10pm-ish. Surprising number of people still hanging around there. There are a ton of seagulls - if I closed my eyes, I could imagine myself on a pier somewhere.

Today there were 5 swans - saw five the other day with mom, she's certain there are six because 'swans are always in pairs'. I'm going to guess they're Tundra Swans , but I'm not sure. Swans really are beautiful in the water, sort of other-worldly. Swans belong in fairy tales, in garden ponds next to castles, giving children, fairies, or a princess a ride on its back. Or a knight - remember that guy? ----->

I saw a crane - love how they walk. I can't decide if it's stately or gingerly. Lots of Canada geese, and a handful of that other white-fronted goose with the orange feet.

And there were mallards today. They were neatly paired up, swimming as if they're tethered to each other. Except one group - there was a male with a female in tow cruising around with two other males following. Watch your back, mate.

I drank my coffee and enjoyed the noise and the smell and the cool night air. Yes, I drink coffee at 10pm. Black, two sugars.

Me and that single swan -hanging out at Creamer's Field.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

heh yeah, I remember him. I like piers, it's the peaceful nature of them. My favourite one was set on fire and burnt to a crisp but... 'it's still there'

dragonfly said...

hah, you're awesome for reading.I'm afraid I'm not a consistent post-er.
I like that your pier is still there for you.